Weekly tasks or assignments (Individual or Group Projects) will be due by Monday and late submissions will be assigned a late penalty in accordance with the late penalty policy found in the syllabus. NOTE: All submission posting times are based on midnight Central Time.
- *Note: An outline of the IP5 paper is due for the Week 4 Discussion Board.
- The purpose of the outline is to receive substantive feedback from peers during the week 4 DB and to help improve on the final deliverables due in week 5.
This final assignment should be entirely focused on expansion into a new national market.
- Paper: 2,000–3,000 words
Part A: Paper of 2,000–3,000 words with citations and references
You represent a large U.S. corporation that manufactures rubber tires, and you want to begin manufacturing and distribution in another country. Choose a country that you think you would want to start a manufacturing plant in. Answer the following questions about your company and its chosen new market. Organize your paper into four sets of concerns: Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary and Treasurer.
Chairman: Research and write on the following issues:
- Discuss the macro environment of the country.
- What is the company strategy there?
- How will you be socially and economically responsible?
- What would be the role of management?
- What is the mode of entry you are going to use, and why?
- You are also thinking of how you are going to implement the rewards program.
- What do you think would motivate the workers?
- How would you design the right culturally appropriate program?
- What kind of leadership would work in this country?
Vice-chairman: Research and write on the following issues:
- What are the political, cultural, environmental, and economic risks of doing business there?
- If you do decide to do business there, how would you staff the operation?
- What type of concerns would you have?
- What do you need to consider when you recruit, evaluate, train, and deal with labor relations issues?
- How would you select the manager?
- What are some of the issues to consider regarding the expatriate?
- What if it does not work out?
Secretary: Research and write on the following issues:
- What are some of the legal issues you would have to deal with as a company if you decide to expand there?
- What sort of international orientation would you consider?
- What are some of the opportunities and strengths of doing business there?
- What are some of the cross-cultural issues you are going to have to deal with?
- What are some of the protocols and etiquette issues you must incorporate into your business behavior?
- How are you going to deal with management issues such as assertiveness, conflict resolution, and team building?
Treasurer: Research and write on the following issues:
- What are some of the foreign trade issues you will have to deal with?
- What are the determinants to foreign entry there, and how would you enter there?
- You will be embarking on the international negotiation.
- What are the 5 stages of negotiation, and how are you going to prepare for them?
- What cultural differences do you need to be sensitive to in the process?
- What would be some of the political, legal, economic, and ideological issues that may come up?
- How would you manage conflict if it should come up in the negotiations?
- What decision-making process would work better with the different cultures?