Attaining a certification as an accountant can further your career a great deal. In your previous accounting course, you learned about the process to become a Certified Public Accountant. There are several others certifications available as well in the accounting profession.
Some of the other certifications that are available to in the accounting profession are as follows:
Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
Certified Forensic Accountant (Cr. FA)
All of these designations specialize in areas of accounting and are increasing in numbers and employment opportunities. Exploring the requirements will help you realize that accounting is a very diverse, dynamic and growing career choice.
View the grading rubric here for more details.
Visit the following websites:
Certified Management Accountant: www.imanet.org
Certified Internal Auditor: www.theiia.org
Certified Forensic Accountant: www.acfei.com/forensic_certifications/crfa/
Answer the following questions on the Professional Development Activity Discussion Board in Unit 5:
1) What are requirements for each of the designations listed? Please be detailed in your
response and summarize the requirements in your own words.
2) What advantages do you see for each of the designations listed?
3) What disadvantages do you see for each of the designations listed?
4) What career opportunities are available for each of the designations listed? Please provide
specific job opportunities in each field. The following websites will assist you in your search:
http://www.monster.com/, http://www.careerbuilder.com/, http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
5) What service(s) does each designation provide to its clients? (The clients can be internal,
external, or both).
6) What skill set is needed for each designation and how will these skills help you achieve
success in these fields? Please be specific and relate the skills to each designation.
Review the grading rubric below before beginning this activity.
Assignment grading rubric = 30 points
Assignment Requirements Points
1. Provides a detailed summary of the
requirements and services provided to
Internal and external clients for each
designation in their own words.
2. Shares advantages and disadvantages
of each designation.
3. Addresses the potential career
opportunities and shares specific jobs
available in each field.
4. Identifies the skill set needed for each 8
Professional Development Activity
Course: AC302 Unit: 01 Points: 30
Copyright Kaplan University
designation and the assistance such
skills provide to success in each field.
5. Writing is clear, easy to read and
successfully communicates the
effectiveness / ineffectiveness and
benefits / risks associated with allowing
companies to set up their own
accounting practices, polices, and
Total (Sum of all points) 30
Points deducted for spelling, grammar and/or
APA errors. Plagiarism is totally unacceptable.
Adjusted total points