Students, please view the “Submit a Clickable Rubric Assignment” in the Student Center.
Instructors, training on how to grade is within the Instructor Center.
Assignment 1.1: Significant Event Draft
Due Week 4 and worth 190 points
Note: Students will turn in this assignment twice: first as a draft (Week 4 Assignment) and then as a final paper (Week 8 Assignment). Students will submit first draft of the assignment and then submit the final draft after receiving feedback from the professor and making the recommended changes. They will be graded separately for each submission of the assignment.
Select a significant event (either positive or negative) that occurred before you reached adulthood and that has had a life-shaping effect on your life. In this assignment, you will use what you’ve learned in Weeks 1 thru 4 of this course and base your paper on your readings, along with information from library research, to discuss psychological aspects of your event.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
- Briefly describe your significant event (one to two [1-2] sentences).
- Describe your event in terms of at least two (2) different perspectives in psychology (e.g., behavioral, cognitive, psychodynamic, cultural/social, etc.)
- Determine what learning (e.g., classical, operant, etc.) may have resulted from your event, or arisen because of your event.
- Discuss why the memory of the event you described may or may not be completely accurate.
- Use at least two (2) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: One of these resources may be your textbook. Articles from professional journals are certainly a high quality resource. Magazine and newspaper articles are also accepted for this assignment. Articles published on the Internet may also be suitable, if they originate with credible persons or organizations. Please note that articles from Wikipedia, ask.com, and the like are not suitable.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Relate psychological concepts to real-world situations.
- Describe the major theories of learning, memory, cognition, consciousness, development, and social psychology.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in psychology.
- Write clearly and concisely about psychology using proper writing mechanics.
Click here to view the grading rubric.