Purpose: To create a persuasive essay arguing the causes of some situation, trend, or social phenomenon. Length: six to eight pages double-spaced with MLA formattingOutside Sources: In this essay you need to do your research and must have at least 8 outside sources.
Please remember that a variety of resources MUST be used. Limit use of Internet resources to two (.edu, .gov, and some .org only). Use journal articles, books, and references (these may be found on the Eastfield College library database).Counterargument: In this essay, we will practice incorporating counter argument into the assertions. Add one counterargument in the essay.Style: Use MLA formatting and documentation styleOther Guidelines: This is an academic argument so the following guidelines MUST be followed.
- Include a clear, qualified claim as the last sentence in the introductory paragraph.
- Write in third person only (NO first or second person pronouns)
- Do not use contractions
- Spell out all numbers under 100
- Use appropriate academic language
Topics: Select one of the following topics for your argument. . Please remember that the focus on each of these topics needs to be on the argument. Any solutions or proposals provided need to be at the end of the essay and not become the essayâ€™s main focus
- A local situation has evolved and understanding the cause of this situation may help change the communityâ€™s outlook. Write an essay in which you argue about the situation and what might need to occur to reverse the outcome. (Example: Several years ago, the voters of Mesquite rejected membership in DART. Today, however, some citizens wish that this had not occurred, especially with the high gas prices. The argument would provide insight into the cause(s) of Mesquite residentsâ€™ initial rejection of DART and how the community might now join DART.)
- Sometimes a phenomenon occurs on a college or university campus that is hard to explain. Select a trend taking place on this or many college campuses and argue the rationale behind this trend. (Example: A few semesters ago Dallas Community College District along with other community college systems experienced many students dropping their courses for no apparent reason. The cause apparently stemmed from the ease with which students could drop a course without any consequences. To remedy this situation, the state has enacted the Six-Course Drop Rule.)
- Write an argument that explores the causes of some social phenomenon such as a school or mall shooting or the continued stereotyping of a specific gender to perform traditional social roles.
- Write an argument that addresses a phenomenon in pop culture. (Example: The womenâ€™s movement has struggled to help women of all ages avoid being objectified. However, restaurants like Hooters and Twin Peaks base their popularity on the use of young, scantily clad women as their wait staff. Why does society accept this behavior?)